Robert represents companies through all phases of their growth and development while specializing in handling routine to complex corporate and intellectual property issues. His clients range in diversity from high tech computer hardware and software companies to consumer products in the outdoor sporting goods industries to service companies such as restaurants.
Robert handles a full service corporate practice that includes entity formation, compliance and corporate governance, securities filings, transactional and mergers/acquisitions. His intellectual property practice includes patent application drafting and related prosecution, trademark prosecution, copyright practice and the development and implementation of trade secret programs. He also offers a full service domestic and international transactional practice that includes negotiation and drafting of technology licenses, joint venture agreements, mergers & acquisition agreements, tooling agreements, distributor agreements and reseller agreements.
His litigation practice includes all aspects ranging from pre-filing advice, trial and appellate practice in state and federal courts. He also has experience with domestic (JAMS) and international arbitrations (Int’l Chamber of Commerce). He has handled breach of contract (supplier and employment agreements) as well as complex patent, trademark and copyright litigations.
Robert has technical backgrounds in electrical engineering, computer science, chemistry and petroleum engineering. After working for several years in the petroleum industry, he obtained his law degree from the University of Tulsa and an LL.M. in Intellectual Property Law from The John Marshall Law School. For the last twenty-four years, he has worked both in private practice and as in-house counsel.
Mr. Hart frequently lectures on a variety of business and legal topics. From 1994 until 2003, Robert co-taught Masters Classes for lawyers in Appellate Brief Writing and Appellate Advocacy with the Honorable Paul Michel, Chief Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit at the John Marshall Law School. He has also taught trial practice for lawyers at Chicago Kent College of Law. Mr. Hart is a member of the Association of Corporate Counsel, the Licensing Executives Society (LES), Richard Linn American Inn of Court located in Chicago.
Representative Litigation Cases:
• GGEC America v. Stelle, LLC (CA 2015) – obtained a $1.27 million judgement on behalf of Plaintiff in a breach of contract case.
• Victoria Rodriguez v. Vizio, Inc. et al. (S.D. CA 2015) – obtained a dismissal with prejudice with no settlement on behalf of two of the defendants.
• Winvic Sales, Inc. and NII Northern International Inc. v. MerchSource, LLC (N.D. IL 2013) – resolved patent infringement case on favorable terms.
• PowerSav, Inc. v. Thermal Technology LLC (CA 2012) – litigated and obtained a very favorable settlement in a breach of contract case for Defendant.
• Patent Harbor LLC v. Harman International et al. (E.D. TX 2010) – settled patent infringement lawsuit on extremely favorable terms.
• ClearOne Communications v. Harman Professional et al. (Utah 2007) – resolved trade secret lawsuit.
• ClearOne Communications v. Andrew Chiang et al. (D. Utah 2007) - obtained dismissal of trade secret lawsuit.
• Traffic Information v. Alpine Electronics of America et al. (E.D. Texas 2008) – litigated and successfully settled patent infringement lawsuit.
• Massachusetts Institute of Technology v. Harman International (D. Mass 2005) – litigated and favorably settled patent litigation potential liability greater than $30 million actual damages.
• Harman International v. Brookstone (C.D. Cal. 2007) – litigated and negotiated favorable trademark litigation settlement including payment of monetary damages by Brookstone.
• Harman International v. Jasco Products (W.D. Okla. 2004) – litigated patent infringement lawsuit that was resolved with a favorable royalty bearing patent license.
• Zeevi v. Pioneer North America et al. (C.D. Cal. 2003) - favorably settled lawsuit with a potential liability greater than $10 million.
• Harman International v. PC Club et al. (E.D. Va. 2002): litigated patent infringement lawsuit resulting in shutting down over 25 infringers.
• JBL v. Bose, No. 02-46 (U.S. 2002) - managed litigation team on petition for writ of certiorari to the United States Supreme Court to review conflicting precedent relating to patent infringement doctrines.
• Bose v. JBL, No. 02-1282 (Fed. Cir. 2002) - managed litigation team on appeal to the Federal Circuit regarding the constitutional patent issue of whether the primary jurisdiction of the United States Patent and Trademark Office requires a district court to stay a co-pending patent infringement litigation.
• Represented an investor group in a $2 million debt and equity transaction.
• Represented a startup in a $2.5 million Series A preferred stock offering.
• Represented a startup in a $3 million Series A preferred stock offering.
• Represented a startup in a $2.7 million round of seed financing.
• Represented a Singapore startup in a $300,000 round of seed financing.
• Represented a startup in a $500,000 convertible note seed financing round.
• Represented a cellular service provider company’s exit sale to an Indian company.
• Represented a telecom company’s exit sale to a Canadian purchaser.
• Represented various startups with seed and angel financing (from $5,000 to $250,000 investments).
B.S. Chemistry, 1984
B.S. Petroleum Engineering, 1986
LL.M. Intellectual Property Law, 1996
M.S. Electrical Engineering studies, 1996 – 1999
District of Columbia
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Canadian Intellectual Property Office
Admissions to Courts:
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Ct. of Appeals for the Fed. Cir.
U.S. Ct. of Appeals for the 9th Cir.
U.S. D.C. for the District of Columbia
U.S. D.C. for the N.D. of Illinois
U.S. D.C. for the N.D. of Oklahoma
U.S. D.C. for the E.D. of Texas
U.S. Court of International Trade
Certified License Professional (LES)
Board of Directors
SignMeUp.com, Inc. (2012-2013)
Ultrawave Labs, Inc. (2012-2013)
© 2016 Apogee Law Group P.C. All rights reserved.
© 2016 Apogee Law Group P.C. All rights reserved.
Apogee Law Group P.C.
401 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611